As we continue the theme of Women in our Church, here are some highlights of the Tricentennial Moments given by Jean Hills these past two Sundays.
The Women’s Association has been fundamental in raising money to help support programs and special purchases of the church. The first organized women’s group was in 1887 and called the Ladies Aid Society. The purpose of the group was to raise $1500 to enlarge the Sabbath School Building. The money was raised in three years. Many of the fundraising included Oyster Dinners (50 cents) and for an extra 10 cents – ice cream. Some of the other fundraisers over the years were:
- 1979 – Holiday Bazaar to raise money for chapel renovations
- 1981 – Holiday Bazaar to raise money for the updating of the Kitchen. Items for sale included tree ornaments, wall hangings, decorations, and Reindeer dolls.
- Rummage Sales in the spring and fall have been held for over 40 years. In 2019, over $5000 was raised!
The Women’s Association has used their money to help the church and people in many ways including:
- Scholarships to High School Seniors – over $20,000 has been given out in the last 20 years
- $10,000 to purchase stoves
- $3,000 towards the Elevator
- $1,500 towards the sanctuary sound system
- Other items include chairs, tables, wheelchairs, donations to Missions, Community Dinners, Food Pantry and Youth among many others