“When he was still a long way off, his father saw him. His heart pounding, he ran out, embraced him, and kissed him.”
This is Eugene Peterson’s paraphrase of Luke 15:20. The familiar story of the lost son returning home to the father and the joy that the father demonstrates upon his child’s return home.
The Presbyterian Church at Woodbury is preparing for the beginning of a new season of ministry with our kick-off event on Sunday, September 11 with 10:00 am worship led by President Asa Lee from Pittsburgh Theological Seminary and our church picnic at Red Bank Park.
I want to invite you to return home and join us for worship and lunch. The past several years have been trying times, but I believe that this Fall is the time for us to return to the church and reconnect with our church family!! I am thankful for the technology that allows for worship on-line, and we will continue this ministry. Again, I want to invite everyone of you to join us on Sunday, September 11 as we recommit ourselves to the ministry of Jesus Christ. During that service we will offer a liturgy of covenant which includes the following commitments for followers of Jesus, to consider:
- First, set apart some time, more than once, to be spent alone before the Lord; in seeking earnestly God’s special assistance and gracious acceptance of you; in carefully thinking through all the conditions of the covenant; in searching your hearts whether you have already freely given your life to Christ.
- Second, be serious and in a spirit of holy awe and reverence.
- Third, claim God’s covenant, rely upon God’s promise of giving grace and strength, so you can keep your promise. Trust not your own strength and power.
- Fourth, resolve to be faithful. You have given to the Lord your hearts, you have opened your mouths to the Lord, and you have dedicated yourself to God. With God’s power, never go back.
- And last, be then prepared to renew your covenant with the Lord. Fall on your knees, lift your hands toward heaven, open your hearts to the Lord.
Please come home and join us on RALLY DAY!!!